Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Princess and the Pea

This is Gigi's story box. I made it for her birthday. It started out as an old barbie box. I really like how it turned out. I was inspired by this, but I made it my own. I painted the wood and added the velvety swatches to the exterior, and then Cami helped me learn how to recover the interior with better paper. I sewed the mattresses and pillow and blanket from scraps I had, and bought the bed & chair in a kit on ebay and put it together and painted it. I cut and painted the Ladder and printed the Princess portrait off the internet and put it in a round "frame". I painted the princess on a wooden doll thing and added a ring of braided yarn for her hair. I think I spent $17 on the whole thing and the most expensive part was the bird cage for $5 (I should have found a coupon). I really wanted a Chandelier, but couldn't find one at a price I liked and was unsuccessful in making one look how I wanted. So, the day before her birthday I found the birdcage in the jewelry section at Micheals.









5 comments:

Aaron & Erin said...

Love, Love, LOve it! You are so clever. Can't wait until you move into our ward.

Courtney said...

That is so fantastic - the day you bought the box I could kind-of envision it but it's a good thing I didn't have to make it because it would have looked terrible compared to your masterpiece. Wow - this is stunning and I love the box.

You make things that I want to play with as a thirty something!

Renae said...

Turned out really cute!

Jeremy and Sara Smith said...

When are we going to make things like that together! How fun!!!!

Tiffany said...

I was browsing your blog for some pics and had to comment on this since I never did before. This is possibly the cutest thing I have EVER seen! This well illustrates the difference between my crafting and yours. I take the easy way out and copy other people's creativity. You are creativity itself. This is beautiful and adorable and, in classic Tiff style, I just might have to copy you on it sometime...