Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How far and wide the fairies fly

Lorelei was given a peom book about fairies for her birthday called If you see a Fairy Ring. She loved it from the start. A couple weeks ago, to combat the rowdiness that insued at bedtime, we added a feature to our betime routine. The last poem in her book is called Sleep Song. it seemed to work (somewhat) and they ALL seemed to enjoy it, so we have read this poem after prayers each night for nearly 2 weeks. What I didn't expect to happen is the sudden and perfect memorization of the poem by Lorelei and Joseph. Two nights ago I told them that if they remembered any parts of it (like the rhyming words) to say it with me. THEY SAID THE WHOLE DARN THING! I was blown away. They just needed one or two prompts to complete it that night by themselves, and now they do it all on their own. Here is the poem we say. We decided this morning to do a new poem each month or more if it's too easy.

Sleep Song

How far and wide the fairies fly
On bright and golden wing,
But when they settle down to sleep
A gentle song they sing.
Sweet Queen of Night
Soft silver stars
We're glad you are so near
We seek our beds
We rest our heads
Without a moments fear.
On Thistledown
In hidden nooks
We watch the wanning light
The joys of sleep
Upon us creep
We wish you all goodnight.

Steven Kroll

The fairy book has authors like Shakespeare and Laura Ingalls Wilder
I just found my Poem book that I loved as a child. It has no cover, but I love the verses and the illustrations. It's called A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson and Illustrated by Gyo Fujikawa. I know he has been around forever and there are dozens of this book with different illustrators. I just looked at amazon and they have a reprint of it out now with the same illustrations. I may need to take a trip to the store today. I recommend it to anyone with little ones and also any of the Shel Silversteen books. Love 'em!

1 comment:

brian said...

Lovely poem.

I enjoyed reading and thinking about when it's time for kids to go to dream land, what magical dreams await them!
All kids need bedtime stories.
Good Night!